Monday 8 September 2014

The Good,The Bad and The Ugly Part 2

Friday 29th August 2014
Selby-Riverside

After the Bullshit Connor at the Star & Garter pulled on us,I had a good nights kip on the drum riser of Sonny's band's rehearsal room.Sonny and Alex were good guys and their demos they had shown us were awesome,so we shared a couple of ours too.I gave the guys a couple of CDs to say thanks, said our goodbyes and headed off.1st stop was breakfast.
What else would a Heavy Metal Drummer from Cheltenham have for breakfast?
After filling our faces with the usual crap (apart from me) we stocked up on travel food for the journey to Selby.Not too far to go today so we stopped off at a music shop, went round slagging off the high prices of everything and I pretended to play some Jazz on the keyboards,you know,the general shit bands do when they go to a music shop.You can almost hear the staff moan as soon as you walk through the door,"Great,I bet they're a band which means they're gunna go round for ages and not buy anything." They even had the usual guitar player playing nondescript rubbish the whole time we were there.
I discovered a section that was full of signed gear and contemplated signing the guitars on the wall.As I pulled out my sharpie out though,Ed talked me out of it explaining it was probably not the best idea.
I get to meet Chad Smith


After half an hour of pissing about,the only thing bought was plectrums and a lead I think.We then set off for Selby.
Only a short drive compared to the rest of the dates on the tour but we managed to get plenty of piss taking in along the way.

We got to Selby nice and early so we buggered off to the pub for a pint before load in.Load in was 6pm,doors were 7pm.I had a word with the guys renovating a section of the place as soon as we turned up and managed to get them to let us in at 5:30pm instead.I didn't think an hour was enough time to load in and sound check us and the first band on,and today we want a sound check!

Sound check went well.I had to remove the drum riser though as my kit wouldn't fit on it but that was no problem.The PA sound was wicked according to Bison and we were all happy.

My mood had picked up today.I was starting to enjoy it.Maybe it was because I always need a few days to get back into it nowadays.Or maybe it was because I needed the aggression of yesterdays events to clear out the pistons.Either way,I was looking forward to the gig.

One band had dropped out tonight but that was ok.It meant the first band could go on at 8:00 instead of 7:15 so hopefully it'll give the people of Selby a chance to show up.Unfortunately though,the turn out was low which was a real shame.All the bands were on top form and it would have been an awesome night if only a few more people had been there.Tickets were only £3 too.

"Outright Resistance" were first on followed by "Past the Fall".Both bands were really good and worth checking out.I'd like to see them with a bit more of an audience too.
This was the first time I'd really watched BOTJ properly too.They played like the place was full and the sound was spot on too.

We took the stage and had a bloody good time.A few more people watched us and we managed to get a small pit going which included the guy taking the door money too.We even did ok on merch too.It's weird how these things work out sometimes.

We were supposed to be staying at the actual venue but unfortunately the owner changed his mind as the place was being renovated so BOTJ booked into a travelodge while Andy our driver managed to find a place for us to stay in Mansfield so after the gig we packed up and headed off asap.

We arrived around 3am ish I think and proceeded with blowing up those bloody airbeds at full volume again.After a bit of hip-hop dancing and general piss taking we settled down for some kip.Jesus Christ! Bison can snore!!! Luckily,I had my ear defenders but he really does have a vicious sound to it.During the night Jon had to move out of the room and sleep in the hall to get away.And Jon wears ear plugs when he sleeps!

We made it through the night and were once again woken up with Bacon sandwiches and tea.
Ed and his bacon sandwich
We met the dogs and one dog seemed to have a thing for first Jon then my leather Jacket.
Jon gets all the bitches...

...until I show up with my leather jacket
Bellies full,all showered and shitted, we set off for the long and boring journey to Norwich.I've always had good shows in Norwich,so has Jon and Bison so we're looking forward to this one.Also,the info was that the tickets have been selling well with the Promoter,Simon Powell,doing a good job of promoting this one.We'll see,but first we must try not to kill each other on this journey.

Did we kill each other on the way?Am I the only surviving member of ROF left.Of course not,but you'll have to wait until the next exciting instalment of Magic Moments to hear just how boring that trip was.

Magic Dave.



No comments:

Post a Comment